Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Scarlett at the Twelve Oaks BBQ



There are often comparisons between Tonner's Scarlett O'Hara and Franklin Mint's version. In particular, this Franklin Mint sculpt is incredible. I believe that they perfectly captured Vivien Leigh's timeless beauty and cheshire-cat grin.



Dressed for the barbecue at Twelve Oaks, Scarlett is wearing the green sprig muslin dress that she was also supposed to wear in the opening scene of the movie. Here is a publicity still from the deleted version that never reached the screen.



Instead, Producer David Selznick thought Leigh would look younger and more virginal by wearing this frilly all-white dress:



Straying from the book with this change of outfit, the line from the film that Scarlett says to the Tarleton Twins at the BBQ ("You haven't been near me all day and I wore this old dress just because I thought you liked it!") is now lost on audiences because of the costume switch.



The doll and jewelry are from the Franklin Mint; the outfit shown in these photos is by Tonner. I found it to be much truer to the screen worn gown than FM's version.



I need to redo the photos of Scarlett wearing the hat; the bow is quite atrocious the way I have it tied!

See more Scarlett O'Hara doll photos on my GWTW doll web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment