Saturday, September 2, 2017

Sandra Stillwell Eternal Style, Pt. 1



I just returned from my second Sandra Stillwell convention; dubbed "Eternal Style," the location was Richmond, Virginia. Arriving early to photograph the fashions for Sandra, I was immediately put to work and sent off to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts to pick up the brochures on the Yves St. Laurent fashion exhibit. The brochures weren't ready to pick up yet, so I utilized the time to photograph the surrounding area.



This statue had me mesmerized.



Nearby was the Confederate Memorial Chapel.



The inside was beautiful and well kept.



I'm a sucker for stained glass.





After picking up the brochures, I headed back to the host hotel and got busy with my camera. My first event as an attendee was Thursday morning's tour of the Maymont Estate.



I guess I would live here if I could; just maybe...



Some of my tablemates (Kelly, Vera, Lynne, and Larry) posed for this photo; what a fun group to hang with!



Want to see a few shots of the inside? I thought so...



Mae West would have loved this bed:









A trip to the Jefferson Hotel for lunch followed. This historic hotel was spectacular.







Posing by Thomas Jefferson's statue:



A candid shot of Diane, Wayne, Larry, and Vera:



Our lunch spot, Lemaire, which included a brief history of the hotel by one of the staff:



Besides the delicious lunch, it was fun sharing stories and of course a few laughs. Reba is one of a kind...in a good way!



Dessert:



If you think that's enough for one afternoon, you've obviously never attended a Sandra Stilwell event. She definitely gives you your money's worth. A trip to Cary Street and the Byrd Theatre was next...





with a screening of "The Grass is Greener," starring Jean Simmons. "Per-Simmons," worn by Simmons in the movie and designed by Yves St. Laurent (pattern recreated by Tom Courtney) was given to attendees.





And then after a bit of a rest, convention attendees gathered for a dessert reception in the hotel ballroom. This incredible backdrop by Sue Connor caused jaws to drop:



"Wrapped in Style" was the centerpiece:





Once again, Michael Basala served as the event emcee. His contribution to making Sandra's events fun is priceless.



He delights in the behind-the-scenes anecdotes, prizes, and games. This year, he created a new game called:



He gave contestants a sentence and then they had to guess who said it. It was a definite hit!

Attendees received "Renee"; Michael dramatically raised the big box for the reveal:







This preorder of "Dior and I" was a convention favorite:





MUCH more to come. We've only scratched the surface!

See more Gene Marshall photos at my website.

1 comment: