Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Mary Astor: Piano Concerto No. 1



Ever since I saw the prototype photos over a year ago (!), I have been anxious for this doll to be released. Even though most people today have never heard of the classic Oscar winning beauty Mary Astor, I for one have...and was shocked by how spot-on the sculpt and face paint were. The final execution? Not too bad.



To be upfront, I did accessorize the doll with earrings to match what Mary originally wore in the movie "The Great Lie," which is what Piano Concerto No. 1 was inspired by.



The outfit is pretty incredible; especially the detailing of the cape. I rushed these photos and am looking forward to getting more creative in the near future with this doll. The back of the cape is just as beautiful.



Pros: the sculpt. As Andrew Yang told me, there was a lot of time spent on it and it shows. The cape. The dress. Absolutely beautiful.

Cons: Probably wouldn't be many except I saw the prototype photos. The face paint is much better (but I could probably touch the doll up myself). The dress on the original was more of a cream color, which seems to be a better choice than the bright white which was the final execution. The body of the doll is a great improvement for Tonner articulation, but still doesn't hold a candle to the Integrity Gene Marshall body. And the hair...I see they attempted to mimic the hairstyle from the movie, but it definitely will need to be redone. It just looks like a sculpted/gelled mess. You don't see the shoes, but they are a gold sandal-style pump. Odd choice, since the jewelry is silver. At least they don't show.

Overall: It's a win. I am being picky and I'll be the first to admit it. Kudos to Tonner for bringing Mary Astor to the public and to Andrew Yang for making sure his great-grandmother was honored in such a beautiful way.

See more Tonner doll photos at my website.

3 comments:

  1. I've been chomping at the bit to get this doll too so I am grateful for the review and the great photos. Mine is due to be delivered later this week.

    I was especially worried about the hair, but it looks like there's enough to work with to make a more attractive hairdo. I wonder why they didn't do an updo like the publicity photo? Earrings make a surprising positive difference.

    I'm probably going to body swap my Mary, I think the new body looks too "buff" for a vintage style doll, but I may change my mind when I have it in hand. Another consideration will be whether the dress will fit/can be altered to fit a different body. I really adore this dress but I wish the appliques on the cape were smaller and more like the publicity photo.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't an updo. It was Mary Astor's famous side-saddle bob, which she innovated and wore for years. The hairstyle is all wrong for a doll purporting to be the iconic Ms. Astor.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I expected different hairdos on the two dolls, but they are basically the same. Like you pointed out though, enough hair to restyle and be ok. What body would you swap it out to? The body itself doesn't bother me too much, but those feet....HUGE! I have yet to find another shoe that would fit it.

    ReplyDelete