Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Shirley Projects, Pt. 3



In “Curly Top” (1935) when little orphan Elizabeth Blair (Shirley) sashays up the walk with her sister Mary (Rochelle Hudson) to her new ritzy beach home has to be one of the cutest scenes Shirley ever filmed as a child. It’s no surprise that I think the original Ideal composition doll dressed in the same “Duck Dress” is one of the cutest, too. I was able to acquire one, and this is how she looked in the online auction where I found her.





Since I prefer my Shirleys to be as screen accurate as possible, I switched out her white oilcloth shoes for the black Mary Jane variety.



You’ll also note that I added gloves (yup, sewed them myself!) and a purse. Not just any old purse, either. I did my best to match the one Shirley carried in the film.



Zooming into this vintage shot from my collection, I had a very good idea of what that looked like!





A detailed shot of the purse that I made. Not too bad for a first try!



See more Shirley Temple doll photos at my main website.

No comments:

Post a Comment