Sunday, February 2, 2014

Urban Vita: Equestrienne



When I first began seeing Horsman's Urban Vita line, I liked the clothes, but was not crazy about the doll's face or the look of the plastic. It just looked cheap. Happily for my wallet, I was able to avoid both doll and outfits. Things changed though when I saw the promotional photos for "Equestrienne." The outfit really piqued my interest, looking like a cool blend of Kentucky Derby, Auntie Mame, and a high-class circus. I couldn't resist. Patience was required though, as it took 9 months from payment for the doll to be released. My initial plan was to ditch the doll and keep the outfit.



Once the doll arrived though, I was pleasantly surprised. The outfit was packaged separately from the doll, which was a bit odd, as typically I am used to having a dressed doll arrive...well, dressed. Call me lazy, but I like to see her arrive dressed exactly as she is in the promo photos. Still, not a real big issue.



The doll itself impressed upon first glance. The face was MUCH better in person. I actually decided to keep her. And with 19 points of articulation, my mind was reeling from the possibilities. I still wasn't crazy about the plastic, but in person, it looked much better than the photos I'd seen. Yup...I thought I had a keeper.



The costume fits snugly on Vita; no room for give at all. The white blouse had one part in the front that refused to lay flat; it puckered out no matter how I pulled on it. The jacket fastens to the blouse, but it too refused to lay flat, which kept the decorative buttons from being seen and showed the inside fasteners. I was beginning to get annoyed. Once I attempted to pose the doll for photos, I got further annoyed. My visions of JAMIEshow Gene getting replaced as a favorite quickly faded away. The poses didn't really hold as well as I expected (or as I had read about), and the doll had a difficult time standing up without continually falling over. On the plus side, she does fit into Gene's outfits.



On the negative side, her pizza-sized feet prevent her from wearing all of Gene's shoes (the Integrity ones seem to fit, but the AD ones do not).



Phoenix came out of her box to model the outfit, which fit her just fine. The hat is perfect (one of the best doll hats ever) and I love the little riding crop. What a cool accessory! Much better than the molded one that the Franklin Mint made years ago for Jackie Kennedy.



Final decision: the outfit stays, but the doll goes.



When I turned the doll around to get a bit of the back detail of the outfit, I noticed that one of the buttons was missing and the other one was dangling.



I contacted Sharon at MM Treasures, who I bought the doll from, and asked if the jacket could be replaced. She IMMEDIATELY responded, apologized, and put me in touch directly with Horsman. Their response? A very terse:

"We are at a trade show until 2/13. Will address issue upon return."

I am hoping that "address" means "replace" as far as the jacket goes. Rodeo Drive Vita is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Look for further updates!

See more Urban Vita photos on my regular website.

4 comments:

  1. Hi from Belgium :-). What a pity about the flaws! The outfit is gorgeous, but to be honest I don't like the make-up of the Urban Vita dolls. Gene looks much better in it. I hope the jacket will be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene is a tough act to follow. The Equestrienne Vita is the best face I've seen of all the Vitas, but still...she's not going to overtake Gene. Agreed on the outfit...very nice! Will let you know what Horsman says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, it's very helpful to know how well the Gene clothes fit and how pretty this Horsman doll is. I actually really like Vita (even better than Gene *gasp*) and I wonder if you could tell me how long this doll's hair is. I know you sold her on ebay (I saw the listing - darn - I was on a trip and missed it) so you don't have her now, but do you have any idea? I am looking at buying her and I'd want to be able to style her hair. Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen - I didn't undo the bun, but guessing from the size of it, you'd have a good amount of hair to style if you undid it.

    ReplyDelete