Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Temple Tuesday: Texas Ranger



In 1936, Shirley Temple was an official marshall for the Texas Centennial. A commemorative doll was issued to celebrate the occasion, and has become a highly prized collectible. Produced by the Ideal Toy Company, the original 27" composition doll's outfit included a red rayon-satin shirt, bandana, twill shorts, heavy suede vest and chaps decorated with colorful suede and glass emblems, brown side-snap leatherette boots, brown socks, black leather belt with holster and metal toy "Buck" pistol, and with ten-gallon black felt hat with banner "Souvenir of Texas Centennial". At the Shirley Temple auction back in 2015, the doll shown below went for $8,500. Not bad for an item that had a presale estimate of $1,000! Shirley brings home the bacon, folks!



An original 27" has been on my bucket list for quite awhile, and I was finally able to check that one off. Presenting my Texas Ranger Shirley!



Completely refurbished by Cathy's Compos, this beauty has been restored to opening day freshness.



There are many who do not like restorations because they look “too new” or “overdone.” I myself typically prefer an original un-retouched Shirley, but I have to credit Cathy for a job well done with this one.



And if you think the outfit looks like it’s in incredible shape, well...it’s a reproduction, and a dang good one at that! Cathy threw in the genuine Stetson hat and toy pistol to boot.



…and I guarantee you I didn’t pay $8,500!

See more Shirley Temple doll photos at my main website.

No comments:

Post a Comment