Sunday, May 23, 2010

C'est Moi, Madra Lord



With a slightly different facial paint than she usually has, Madra resembles a 1930’s Marlene Dietrich or Jean Harlow with her pencil thin eyebrows. Love the outfit, which also evokes Miss Dietrich, one of the first female stars who was brazen enough to wear pants (gasp!) in public!

From the press archive dossier:

1932. “Please, please, PLEASE!” Madra was imploring the photographers as she stepped onto the dock in Nice. “No pictures. I am TRYING to sneak away from the hectic life of a popular movie star and spend a little QUIET time here on the Côte d’Azur…”

That didn’t seem to stop the photographers—or Madra Lord from pausing just long enough to have them get her best side. “Please, be nice in Nice give me my privacy.” Her hand fluttered to the pearl choker at the throat. “Little moi just wants to say that I appreciate the attention, but please, please, PLEASE!”

One last pose, and she pushed through the crowed. Standing on teh dock was a liveried chauffer holding a sign reading “MADRA LORD, MOVIE STAR” in bold letters. “Mlle Madra Lord, Movie Star?” the chauffer said, rather loudly.



“Yes, my darling, c’est moi!” Madra trumpeted back. “And I’m SO glad to be here!”

“The Prince, who shall remain nameless, has retained me to be your guide while you are in France. I will obtain your bags and drive you to your hotel in Cannes, Mis,” said the chauffer in perfect English.

“Merci beaucoup,” said Madra. And she followed him to the car.




See more Gene Marshall & Friends photos at my regular website.

No comments:

Post a Comment