Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gene: Calendar Girl, April Showers Pt. 1



This circa 1957 outfit is a faithful recreation of a Coca-Cola illustration found on a vintage calendar. Even the Coke bottle and umbrella are included as well as a miniature of the calendar itself. Gene herself is looking a little like a cross between Donna Reed and Loretta Young. From the storycard from:

It was the end of a long day. Gene had just poured a cold Coca-Cola into a glass and herself into a robe and slippers. Then the phone rang. Gene picked it up and a voice said, “So how’s my favorite Girl Star?”

The voice on the other end transported Gene to another time and place—to her modeling days in New York just before her spectacular rise to fame. For the caller was none other than her old friend Sally, formerly one of the junior illustrators at DeLuxe, a haute couture magazine that had used Gene in many a fashion spread.

“Darling, I’m with an agency now and we’re putting together a campaign for Coca-Cola,” Sally said. “I’ve been asked to assemble some rough sketches as part of our presentation for next year’s Coca-Cola calendar and I wondered if you’d like to model for me? It would give us a chance to catch up and you’d be doing me a big favor! And I’ll supply a cooler full of Coca-Cola!”


To see more Gene Marshall photos, visit my regular website.

No comments:

Post a Comment