Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tonner Scarlett: Traveling with Mother to Savannah



Since the most popular Scarlett costumes have been done to death, The Tonner Doll company has done their best to breathe new life and creativity into their fashion choices for our favorite Civil War Heroine. By tapping into the costume sketches of Walter Plunkett, they have produced a few of the “lost” costumes that were either never produced or filmed in the 1939 production “Gone With The Wind.” Here are some of the original renditions of the GWTW costumes that Plunkett created:





I saw this costume and immediately liked it. I’m a huge fan of simple black and white design, and this costume has it in spades. Do I have a few gripes? Naturally! When looking at the doll as a Vivien Leigh as Scarlett likeness wearing a beautiful outfit, I give it an A-; however, at the point in the book that Scarlett would be wearing it, she was much younger than the hairstyle and outfit make her look. This is not so much the fault of Tonner as it might be of the original designer, Walter Plunkett. I do feel that Tonner could have chosen a different hairstyle that would have been more appropriate for the teenage Scarlett.

Photo #1 places Scarlett at the Visitor Center in Savannah, Georgia.



To see more Gene Marshall, Franklin Mint, and Tonner Vinyl Doll photos, visit my regular website.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, Boots here. I can't seem to figure out how to post comments on my blog or elsewhere. At any rate, I'm glad you see the beauty in this dress too. I felt lost when I ordered it. Scarlett or not, it is impressive.

    By the way, check out this video on lost behind-the-scene footage of Gone with the Wind. There's a Vivien Leigh moment there.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-IFzz6_vbQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That footage is fantastic - that should have been one of the extras on the new Blu-ray set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave. Did you happen to see (or record) the GWTW documentry on TCM last night after the showing of the uncut film?

    ReplyDelete