Monday, November 9, 2009

Savannah



I usually know immediately whether I like something or not. My first inclination on this Gene was to pass. Sometimes a cheap price on ebay can sway me to think, “What the heck.” Such is the case with “Savannah.” The dress is pretty enough, but as for scale and authentic design, this one falls a little short and instead looks more like a costume than a period outfit. The designer of this circa 1860 outfit was Katie McHale, winner of the Ashton-Drake Young Designers of America Student Competition. Kudos to Mel and Ashton-Drake for supporting up-and-coming young talent. From the story card:

“Look Away, Look Away” was a Saga of a Simpler South, where chivalry still was the order of the day—and a strong-minded woman was a rare treasure.

Gene stars as just such a heroine. After her mother’s untimely death, Gene assumes her mother’s duties, from running the plantation in Savannah for her politician father and serving as his hostess to raising her twin sisters and finding them suitable husbands.

But when it comes to her own life, there has yet to be a cavalier to sweep her off her feet. Except…


I can almost hear the “Theme from Tara” now!

P.S. Where can I find a cool Gene-sized staircase like the prop in the publicity photo? Wow!

To see more Gene Marshall photos, visit my regular website.

No comments:

Post a Comment